The Rutgers Master Gardeners are volunteers that are trained and certified through Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Ocean County. Certified Master Gardeners assist Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Ocean County personnel in providing horticulture information to the residents of Ocean County. If you are interested in becoming a Rutgers Master Gardener call 732-505-4563 for details or click on the application below to apply to our program:
Click on one of the ONLINE application links below:
- Rutgers Master Gardener ONLINE application
- ONLINE application to transfer into the Ocean County Rutgers Master Gardener program (for out of state/county Master Gardeners)
What Do the Rutgers Master Gardeners Do?
These volunteers learn about horticulture, and provide community and university services.
Ocean Fun Day resource link:
What Types of Services Do They Provide?
Rutgers Master Gardeners answer lawn and garden questions through our Helpline (732-349-1245). Identification of Ticks are also provided Tick Alert Card along with Soil Testing. Rutgers Master Gardeners also are available to speak on horticultural topics to community groups and provide Community Outreach Programs.
- Education Outreach Committee Garden Project (PDF)
- Education Outreach Committee Garden Project for Nonprofit (Guidelines) (PDF)
- Rutgers Master Gardeners Speakers Bureau Topics (PDF)
- Rutgers Master Gardeners Speakers Bureau Request Form (PDF)
- Community Outreach Events Form (PDF)
Fall Garden Day
Rutgers Master Gardener speakers give lectures and demonstrations to help the Ocean County residents with winter preparation of their garden. General gardening questions are also answered.
Fall Garden Day Resource links
- Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance (E271)
- Garden News – September, 2023 Edition
- How to Propagate Your Herbs in Water for the Winter Months
- Tips for Overwintering Annual & Tropical Plants
- Using Water Wisely in the Garden (FS450)
- Best Management Practices for Watering Lawn (FS555)
- Incorporating Native Plants in Your Residential Landscape (FS1140)
- Assessing and Addressing Soil Compaction in Your Yard (FS1313)
- Ocean County Composting Guide
- PSU – Caring for Houseplants
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns and Gardens (FS707)
- CSU – Tool Care
We are currently out of the 2022 Rutgers Master Gardener calendars. Our goal is to inform and educate our neighbors on the most productive and environmentally conscious gardening practices for Ocean County, New Jersey. Please take our survey and let us know what you think about our calendar.
The Plant Sale is held the first Saturday in May, rain or shine, at the Agriculture Center in Toms River. Plants grown in the Master Gardener greenhouses and plants suitable for Ocean County conditions are available for purchase. For more information about the plant sale and other Rutgers Master Gardener events please visit: mgocinc.org
To contact the Ocean County Rutgers Master Gardeners:
Call Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon – 732-349-1245.
The Rutgers Master Gardeners can also be reached at: email@example.com
Have a Lawn or Garden Question?
Call the Rutgers Master Gardeners of Ocean County Helpline: