The Rutgers Cooperative Extension Personnel with the assistance of the Rutgers Master Gardeners provide horticulture information to the residents of Ocean County.
Lawn and garden questions are answered Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to noon. Afternoon hours vary during Spring and Summer months. Call (732-349-1245).
Free identification is available throughout the entire year. Make sure you have a copy of our fact sheet - Prevent Tick Bites: Prevent Lyme Disease and the CDC Lyme Disease: What you need to know (PDF).
Free identification and diagnosis of plants and pest problems is provided. Recommendations are given. A representative sample of the problem is required for an accurate diagnosis.When a sample is submitted please complete the "Horticultural Diagnostic Fillable Form" below.
Two types of soil tests are available. A pH test to determine acidity or alkalinity is available for $5.00. A complete soil analysis kit, including pH, nutrients in the soil and recommendations, is also available. The fee is $20.00. For further information contact our office.
Save Time - Complete the appropriate form below, before coming in.
Recordings of Past Programs
- May 26, 2020 -- Hydrangeas (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel)~~ Rutgers Fact Sheet #1152 ~~ U. of Maryland Fact Sheet #HG106
- June 2, 2020 -- Vegetable Gardening in Containers (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel)
- June 16, 2020 -- The Best Deer Resistant Plant for Your Garden (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Rutgers Fact Sheet #E271 ~~ Deer Resistant Plant List
- June 30, 2020 -- "So You Found an Orphaned or Injured Wild Animal, What To Do Next?" (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel)
- July 14, 2020 -- Creating a Hummingbird Habitat (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Rutgers Fact Sheet #FS1316 ~~ NJ Audubon Society; Recommended Plantings to Attract Hummingbirds - handout
- July 28, 2020 -- Irresistible Irises: Easy as 1, 2, 3 (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Irises Flow Chart ~~ Irises Facts & Figures
- August 11, 2020 -- Seashore Gardens (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Plant list for seashore gardens handout
- August 25, 2020 -- "What's the Catch? Overview of New Jersey's Marine Fisheries and Aquaculture" (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel)
- September 8, 2020 -- Tick Safety (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Tick Safety Resource Page handout ~~ Tick Borne Disease Chart handout
- September 22, 2020 -- How to Grow Dazzling Dahlias (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Dahlia handout
- October 6, 2020 -- Terrariums (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Terrariums handout
- October 20, 2020 -- Plants with Winter Interest (Rutgers NJAES YouTube channel) ~~ Plant List
To contact the Agriculture Department call - 732-349-1246 or we also can be reached at - firstname.lastname@example.org